Friday, March 20, 2015

Is Morality Active in Our School Systems

In the mist of everything we've discussed this week, there was one thing in particular that I could directly relate to, that being public education. Morality exists in many aspects of our day to day life; however, it is there to only benefit the weak because the strong have no need for it. I never thought to assess our public system by means of morality until recently. By looking at our school systems we can see that the ones on top are the strong ones. They are the ones who get the best grades and the most successful. Those who are seen as weak, have the most problems and tend to not do as well. When it comes to helping weaker students programs are implemented to benefit them, such as No Child Left Behind. This is an example of how morality works. If students are given a test to assess how well they know what they are being taught, and the majority scores below proficient, the students who scored above that are being held accountable as well, even if not directly. When I was in high school I stayed on top of my studies and challenged myself by taking AP and honors courses. I succeeded in all of them and held an A average all throughout high school. Since I'm interested in the sciences, as well as math, my AP Calculus AB teacher recommended that I take AP Calculus BC my senior year of high school, "if" they offered it. They didn't offer it my senior year so I had to take an elective class instead. However, my school decided to replace all the remedial English courses with Honors English courses, which were required of all students. This change only benefited the weak not the strong, because the strong students were already taking the higher level courses. Why can't they help make the strong students stronger too? Is it because our public school system is based on a strong foundation of morality? I think the answer is simple; they want all students to have an equal opportunity, so the weak could become stronger.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen the detriments of this issue but never fully put into perspective that it was a questioning of the moral principles of the school system. I disagree with the logic behind the motions and also feel that students should be tended to on their own levels.

    ReplyDelete