Friday, February 6, 2015

Know Before You Do?



During Wednesday's symposium I was Plato. As Plato, my belief is that a person should know what to do before doing something. Someone brought up the example of learning how to drive. Common knowledge of learning how to drive ultimately involves a written/comprehensive test and then the skills test. Plato would say that all a person would need is theoretical knowledge, while Aristotle would say that a person would need practical knowledge to learn how to drive.
My question would be, hypothetically speaking, would a person be better off in a car without theoretical knowledge of what the signs of the road mean, or with a little bit of theoretical knowledge? Of course we would say the latter, however, if Plato were still alive, he would probably argue that theoretical knowledge could possibly save the person’s life.  Why?, well that is simple, what if the person did not know what a rail road sign means and the person is standing on a set of railroad tracks with a train headed his or her way. Obviously the person is not going to wait on the train to hit the car in order to know that the railroad tracks are something to be aware of. It would be logical for the person to know beforehand what the sign means, and that goes for other signs mean as well.
Over all I think that we all need a balance of both theoretical knowledge and practical knowledge because we might know what some things are or what they mean but in other cases we, as humans are not perfect, and need to learn how to do something by observing someone else do the thing that we are trying to learn. That goes back to Plato’s philosophy of having a balanced soul, which included fulfilling our reason, spirit, and appetites in order to be happy, for today’s society anyways, so in my opinion all humans need a balance between practical and theoretical knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way that you established your position, and I have to say that I agree that we need a balance between the two types of knowledge in order to do something effectively. Using the car example again, if one day I were to have a child and teach said child to drive, I would want it to have a good sense of how a car operates and what to do in certain traffic situations (theoretical knowledge) before putting them behind the wheel. That being said, I'd also want them to have a good foundation in actually operating the vehicle (practical knowledge), so I would do the type of things my father did with me growing up (let my child sit in my lap at a young age and "help" me steer into the driveway, turn the headlights on and off, or use the windshield wipers, ect.) so that they have some experience to help encourage them when they get ready to drive on their own.

    ReplyDelete