Friday, February 6, 2015

Ho Ho Ho!


One of my fondest memories as a child was waking up on Christmas morning to the thought that Santa had come. Running downstairs with my brothers and sisters yelling “Santa Came, Santa Came”, never ceased to fill me with absolute joy. Every year as Christmas time rolled around I can recall growing more and more excited every minute. I knew that Santa Clause was coming to my house to deliver presents to my family. We had a tradition (that still stands) of lining up on the stairs very early Christmas morning before all running into the den downstairs to see what old Saint Nick had brought us. I always felt very close to my family around this time. I’m definitely the odd one out in my family, but something about this wonderful time always made me feel closer.

The act of telling children that a magical man in a big red suit comes down the chimney on Christmas Eve to deliver presents to good boys and girls is most definitely a noble lie. One reason is simply because it brings the family closer together. This common thing to look forward to always puts a smile on everyone’s face. I can remember the pure excitement of seeing what Santa had brought my brothers and sister. Any other time I might be jealous of them receiving a certain gift. However, on Christmas day I was simply happy to share in the excitement with them.

Hope is another thing brought around by Santa Claus. Hope is something that no child should ever have to go without. I always had Christmas time and the thought of Santa to look forward to. I can remember some friends that I had who did not believe in Santa. They seemed sad around Christmas, and a lot less excited. I am grateful to my parents for letting me partake in the wonderful joy that is Santa Claus.    

2 comments:

  1. This post was my favorite. The noble lie is something truly important especially towards a child's life. To tell a child about Santa simply gives them the idea to be good and do good so they can be rewarded. Along with the example of telling a little girl she an be president one day, it gives her hope, motivation, and determination through her years to work hard and keep going. The noble lie, I believe, is a stretch of words to cause a positive outcome and establish hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this post a lot. I agree that some noble lies are very important to tell. Santa definitely being one of them. I think that noble lies such as these are important, but in our debate in class over whether you would tell your fiancé on your wedding day that you once cheated on them, I believe lying in this case would not be noble. Noble lies are told to uplift and motivate, as Santa uplifts children and motivates them to be good in order to receive gifts.

    ReplyDelete