Saturday, November 28, 2015

"White Bear" is really just a social commentary...

Jay Sebring, Lisa Wick, Julia L. Conner. Does anyone know the names of these people? How about Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, or HH Holmes? I guess unless you are directly affected by one of the murders, it is easier to focus more on the murderer rather than remembering the victim. I know I am also guilty of this: only focusing on the murderer and his or her heinous crimes. We live in a culture fascinated by death and murderers, but never fascinated by the victims. This is something that I fixated on during the “White Bear” video. While ideas of justice and morality did come to mind, I mostly kept thinking about how this is a reflection of our own society and “obsession” with murder. 


In “White Bear”, a Black Mirror series, the little girl (the victim) was not being remembered at all; however, people, that are seemingly just as bad as the murderer, focus all of their attention and efforts on the murderer and how to “punish” her. What I find so interesting is that society idolizes her in a way. They are all fighting to get the best picture or video of the murderer as she is tortured day after day. I believe that this is an accurate representation of our own society. A picture of a kid getting beat up at school can travel faster on social media than a picture of a missing child. To me, this is pretty messed up and I believe that a motive of the video “White Bear” could be to make this social commentary to anyone that watches it. I think it can serve as a wake up call to society about who we should idolize and who we should ostracize. 

No comments:

Post a Comment