Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Woman on the Date is a LIAR


Dr. J is correct when she said in class that the most uncomfortable thing is when you go to hug someone and they do not (or choose) not to hug back. This is almost too awkward for me to even think about, but this may be because I am a very touchy person. The more I thought about this awkward situation, the more I thought about the woman on the date. She is honestly the biggest liar to herself. She pretends that if she just lays her hand by her side without making a choice, then she does not have to face the reality. Newsflash: all she is doing is giving away her freedoms. In my opinion, just because she delays having to make a choice, she is actually taking away her own freedoms. She is allowing someone else to assume what she wants instead of her having the opportunity to decide what she truly wants. This is absolutely ridiculous. Why would you take away your freedoms just so that you do not have to make a choice? I believe that the woman is not at total freedom because she is taking away her own freedoms. If she were able to make a choice about holding the man’s hand, then she would be exercising her freedoms rather than throwing them away. The woman on the date is an incredibly frustrating story for me because the woman is not being what she is even though she is in the mode of being it. However, this story is so relatable to what many people do everyday. Maybe we are all even guilty of this: college students have a talent of pretending that choices do not exist in an effort to escape reality. As depressing as it sounds, we all can act like the woman on the date; therefore taking away our own freedoms. 



1 comment:

  1. As an antifeminist I completely agree with everything you have to say about the woman on the first date. (kidding!). I do agree I think that all too often we are made slaves by our fear of decision making. Not realizing that by refusing to make a decision we are in fact making the decision to be a slave to fate.This is something that I personally struggle with myself from time to time. That's I made it a New Year's resolution (kind of late in the year to be talking about new year's resolutions lol) to get a new level of discipline so that the events in my life are being planned and executed instead of just happening.

    ReplyDelete