Friday, October 30, 2015

Nietzsche? More like NietzscHEY I have no idea what he's talking about

According to Nietzsche, the fact that we are still in the moral period makes us sick. For those of you who do not know, the moral period began after the Slave Revolt in Morality which inverted the Noble Mode of Valuation. The NMV is a “pre-moral” time where “good” and “bad” are not moral categories because they do not describe an ought. During this time it was the belief that Good=Powerful=Beautiful=Happy=Beloved by God. The people who were “bad” at this time were the slaves so they decided invert the NMV stating that “We are beloved by God, therefore we are happy, therefore we are beautiful, therefore we are powerful, and therefore we are good. However, this was not the “good” in the sense of the previous period, this good became a moral good. Instead of being the difference between good and bad it becomes the moral war between good and evil. The slaves ultimately turned weakness into strength which ultimately means that morality benefits the weak. Nietzsche believes that the fact that we are still in this moral period today makes us sick because he recognizes that it is absurd to demand that weakness express itself as strength so it is also absurd to expect strength to express itself as weakness. 


I’m not sure if I believe with Nietzsche or not. I think that he brings up valid points such as his example of the lamb and the birds of prey and his ideas that morality benefits the weak. I cannot, however, wrap my head around Nietzsche’s disbelief in the self. I understand the idea that there is no doer, just what is done when it comes to example of the lightning flashing is simply just a flashing but I do not understand removing the subject when it comes to human beings.  

1 comment:

  1. I also cannot wrap my head around the idea of Nietzsche's disbelief in self. I think it is because we are so set in a certain belief and our language definitely enforces it. I mean i did understand what Dr. J was saying, but I don't think I could explain it. I feel like it just gets trickier when talking about human beings and souls, because we are talking about what is inside us and what makes us do things.

    ReplyDelete