Friday, October 2, 2015

CONSEQUENCES MATTER

I wanted to write my post on Wednesday; however, I didn't know on what side I was, Kant or Mill. Today, Dr. Jhonson cleared my mind, so I am on Mill's side. Dr. Jhonson gave us the next example: "A person that is the best human being. He/she always does the right things, is respectful, honest, kind, etc. One day this person decides to take a gun and shoot students in a school." Utilitarianism considered the consequences of actions, so in this case it doesn't matter if the person was the best human because what he/she did makes him/her a bad person automatically. The consequences caused pain instead of happiness.

In the other hand, Kant is the total opposite of Mill. I don't agree with Kant simply because his ideas basically state  that a person can be a good person even if he/she causes pain instead of happiness. In the same way, we can infer that a person that is bad but decides to do good things can't be good simply because even though he/she caused happiness, consequences doesn't matter.

In addition to all of this, Mill have more support to his ideas. He have the exact and perfect answer to any single comment against utilitarianism. For example, Mill says to the people that claim that utilitarianism goes against God's ideas that they basically think that God doesn't want human happiness, etc.

Finally, I want to talk about Kant's idea about "lies." He says that lies are morally wrong even if they cause good things. Seriously, lying to make people happy is not bad at all. I would lie to bring happiness to people's life. It is weird because I hate lies, but sometimes it is necessary to do so. Lies can produce good things. For example, leaving behind Joe and the ax murderer, telling one's brother/sister that the gift he/she gave you on your birthday is awesome even though it wasn't just because they put a lot of effort in it. Telling this little lie will make one's siblings happy. As you all can see I agree in so many thing with Mill and disagree with Kant. For me, consequences always matter.


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, lying is the best option. Not for personal gain, and not when justice requires disclosure, but I agree that when sparing another from pain it is often the wisest choice. I do not agree completely with Mill, but consequences do matter when weighing the goodness of our actions. It would seem very difficult to avoid treating other rational beings as means to our own purposes as Kant directs without considering the consequences to them.

    ReplyDelete