Thursday, October 29, 2015

Nietzsche: The Man Behind The Writing

 Dr. Johnson mentioned how peculiar Nietzche's life was, so I did some research on the man behind all the philosophy. And, I have to agree. He's so much fun. Did you know that he was named after the King of Prussia, Frederick William IV. He did later drop the name and he went to an all boys school, which I think explains a lot.
He was also a military man. Not surprised he didn't believe in god after that. A lot of bad things happened to him. He tore some muscles trying to get on top of a horse. He got diptheria and dysentery. Possibly syphillis. His life was just not going that great. The military was not him. The non-god was telling him to go back to philosophy.

Nietzche also did not like to be criticized and there were very few people he accepted criticism from. Which, I think it such an aesthetic. One of them was Peter Gast and from what I gathered he's kind of important? But, not as important as Nietzche.
  Nietzche also wrote a book called The Gay Science, which combines one of my favorite things with one of my least favorite things, so that's exciting.
In true Nietzche fashion he took opium. Like the great mind of Sherlock Holmes it is necessary to function. He died after having a mental collapse at the age of 55. I think he killed it. If there was a book of Nietzche fun facts I would buy it, because I love all of this mess.  

1 comment:

  1. So I did further research on "The Gay Science" and it is gay as in happy. It was a very common phrase at the time. The actual phrase is gai saber in German. The phrase is actually in relation to the creation of poetry in its original content while Nietzche used it to contemplate the idea of power. it is also the first time the famous "God is dead" phrase is used.

    ReplyDelete