Friday, October 30, 2015

David and Goliath

Out of all of the concepts for which we have studied so far, Nietzsche's concepts and ideology for the Genealogy of Morals is the hardest for me to grasp. It is very difficult for me to take a step back and wonder where the concepts of right and wrong derived from. The way I have always thought about good and bad is that it just is and came from no where, but it is extremely important, in my opinion, to ask how it all came to be. I believe his theory has some warrant though. How can people look at something and deem it positive or negative other than the fact that they were not "excelling" in the social spheres and are "the weak." And I believe calling the weak slaves is a very smart way of putting it. The more and more the weak build up the more and more they will be likely to "revolt." Their revolt hinders the strong to show their strength, though. Nietzsche deems this "absurd," but I do not know if I completely agree with it being called "absurd." Why would any human want anyone to be able to take advantage, regardless of the title's of good or bad. I feel as though being a slave takes away their autonomy, and that is sad enough. Now when thinking about the creation of a monotheist God to explain for the "genealogy of morals" can be argued in a very convincing light as to whether or not it is merely to protect the weak or if it is completely true. It celebrates weakness for sure; though, I cannot help to not think about David and Goliath for David was supposed to be weak. David's tricks are the one that saved him where as Goliath was the obvious choice for a winner. I wonder if Nietzsche would be able to argue back to that. 

4 comments:

  1. Nietzsche would probably say "David and Goliath is a myth - in real life, Goliath would have won. This actually proves my point - the weak say they are beloved by God, and that makes them powerful, etc, and therefore strong."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you referenced the ancient Israelites. Had I written a blog this week, I would have focused mine on Hebrew scripture as well. Although I don't know if I completely agree with Nietzsche's ideology, I think it is interesting how well it fits the belief system and stories found in the Hebrew Bible. While they fall in and out of favor with God , the Israelites, a relatively weak nation, are God's chosen people.Other powerful nations like Babylon and Assyria are painted to be the bad guys, while the weak Israelites play the heros. Whether or not morality truly had an origin is up for debate but no one can discount Nietzsche claim that morality and monotheistic religion empower the weak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you referenced the ancient Israelites. Had I written a blog this week, I would have focused mine on Hebrew scripture as well. Although I don't know if I completely agree with Nietzsche's ideology, I think it is interesting how well it fits the belief system and stories found in the Hebrew Bible. While they fall in and out of favor with God , the Israelites, a relatively weak nation, are God's chosen people.Other powerful nations like Babylon and Assyria are painted to be the bad guys, while the weak Israelites play the heros. Whether or not morality truly had an origin is up for debate but no one can discount Nietzsche claim that morality and monotheistic religion empower the weak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had a hard time understanding everything he was saying. I think it is hard for us to understand because we were born raised with certain ideas. We are so used to thinking a certain way, that it is hard to step back and look at something that completely changes how we see it. that is how I felt when discussing Nietzsche. It just changes how you look at everything especially how we as humans try to create a reason for everything.

    ReplyDelete