Friday, September 25, 2015

The thoughts that come to mind when I read The Shield of Achilles



Marcellus by Kleomeles

    The first time I read "The Shield of Achilles" by W.H. Auden I immediately thought of Diana and Marcellus from "The Robe" by Lloyd C. Douglas. As I continued to read I said well it doesn't really relate to book. However the more I read, the more I see the importance of the "swerve" of the universe. Marcellus' free will lead him to believe in the man of whom he collaborated the death. If he hadn't, I could definitely see that this poem could have been an alternative of his life.
   Now I am not saying one has to believe in Jesus to have a happy life as I don't know what one should believe. Though, it is important, to put your conscience and free will or "swerve" as a priority.

   After today's class period, one could argue that Marcellus was only doing his duty. On the other side, when Marcellus was preparing for his First Crucifixion he had a sickening feeling as he was convinced this was an innocent man. Although he went through with his dutiful action, his conscience nagged at him.
  To relate back to class, was his will good? One might answer, yes, he was following his superior so he was following his duty.
However, one will say his actions caused unpleasant consequences; a man lost his life. This still doesn't undermine Marcellus' dutiful actions.
   In short, with the scenario given, Marcellus was a dutiful person, he had a "good will" as he was being dutiful with his decisions. You could probably even say he was being rational in the circumstances given.

No comments:

Post a Comment