Thursday, September 17, 2015

AN EMPTY LIFE

Have you think about living  without passions? Epictetus believed that a life without passions was a better life. We discussed this topic in class last wednesday, but I didn't fully give my opinion about this idea. First of all, I would like to divide the advantages and disadvantages of STOICISM. 

Stoicism can be good because it makes people strong. If people is stoic then they don't suffer. In some way, stoicism helps people to accept the events of life. They accept reality and nature will easily. The example about the died son proves that stoic people accept death as something normal, so they live better because they don't worry about the future or what is coming next. Also stoic peole have better opportunities to be virtue. This means that they can be totally happy for the rest of their lives. 

However, stoicism is not always that good. According to some of my classmates (you guys), it would be boring to live without passions and/or feelings. This means that stoic people would be living a life without actually enjoying it.

In  my opinion, an stoic life sounds really good. I would like to never be afraid of death, storms, ghosts, lightnings, etc. Also I would like to never feel pain when sad things happen in my life. However, I like life just as it is. I agree with Epictetus in the fact that passions make us ignorant persons, but it is not that bad to be ignorant because it gives us the opportunity to make mistakes and to learn from those mistakes. Suffering is just something normal in our lives, and we can handle it. Life is not just bad things; life is beautiful and there are some many great things out there to enjoy. Emotions are part of us, and we can't avoid them. Even though sometimes emotions and passions don't allow us to think in a rational way, they fill our lives. Being stoic, honestly, is having an empty life.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you! It is like the question Dr. J asked us, whether we could choose to live a life without suffering or a life with high highs or low lows. I would pick the life without suffering which pertains to stoicism. If I didn't abuse passion then I would not suffer. I know people will pass away eventually so why would I make myself suffer even more with pain when a best friend dies. Yes I grieve then I move on.

    ReplyDelete