Thursday, September 3, 2015

Every Action Has a Reason.

Everyone in the world loves rewards as much as they hate punishments. People can't act without a reason. Reasons are everywhere. I do my homework because I want good grades. I eat because I am hungry. I watch movies because I am bored. No one can act without having a reason to do so. In today's society, people act according to rules and beliefs. People don't always do what they want to do, but they do what is right for them to do.

Good actions are symbol of generosity and kindness. People do good things because they want to be rewarded. I am not talking about money. I am talking about recognition and a good status in front of others. There are some factors in today's society, such as the law, that impide people to do what they want to do. In the other hand, people don't do bad things because they don't want to be punished. Almost everyone would love to go to the mall and take stuff without paying them, but no one dares because it is not well seen for the society. We talked about the ring of Gyges in class last wednesday. This ring can give people the power of invisibility.What do we would do with it? The class agreed that most of the things we would do are bad things because no one would be watching us. Cheating, stealing, pranking on people, being lazy, etc. (thank godness no one said "killing.") are some actions that we would do if no one is aware of it. Others' opinions is the main reason of people's actions. People want to have a good position in front of others. Thieves don't want people to know that they are thieves. They don't want to go to jail. People that study want to have good grades. They don't want to be considered losers in front of their classmates and teachers. Every action has its reason.

Finally, I want to tell you what I would do with the ring. I don't like to be a hypocrite, so I'll tell the truth. With the ring I would get into private life of people. I would dedicate my life to investigate people's secrets and use those secrets to my advantage. I would be like the human that knows everything about the people around. I also would know what people think about me. Moreover, I would get everything for free. I would go to stores, and get everything I want without paying for it. I would eat in fancy restaurants for free because I love food. But the most important thing I would do is traveling. For example, I would make my dream come true; I would go to Spain for free. Please don't judge me; I am not a bad person. Oh my God, I really want to be invisible.  






3 comments:

  1. After today's class, I realized that I would get tired of being a human newspaper. I have my own life, so I can't see the point in getting into other's life. It would be amazing to do what I just said, and it would be hard to control myself, but all of that bad acts go against my beliefs and personality. I am good guy. I just wouldn't be okay with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people may only do good deeds to be rewarded, but certainly not everyone. Take the legend of Saint Nicholas for example (the original one, not the modern-day Santa). Saint Nicholas gave 3 bags of gold to a family in secret, so that their daughters could pay their dowries and get married. Because he did this in secret, he received no recognition for his good deed. This does not fit with your explanation of why people do good deeds, because there was nothing in it for Saint Nicholas, but he did it anyways. You could argue that he did it because it would bring him happiness, but I don't believe that's why most people commit good deeds in secret. I have done vaguely similar good deeds without credit, and, while they did make me happy, I did not do them because they would bring me temporary happiness; I did them for the "greater good." I think people who argue that everyone only acts in their own interest don't know what it means to be selfless, and believe everyone else thinks like they do. There are selfless people out there.

    One more story of a good deed done with no recognition: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/elal2/have_you_ever_picked_up_a_hitchhiker/c18z0z2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your view that good deeds are only done for a reward. However, I want to add to this by saying that even when there is not an obvious reward for doing something, people still do it. This may sound like it is actually contradicting your statement, so here is an example. If someone goes to volunteer for an organization they, they could be doing it just for resume building or recognition by others, but if they aren't volunteering for these rewards, what are they doing it for? There has to be a reason. I think even the most selfless acts are done for a reward. This is the good feeling you get one doing these good acts. Most people volunteer for the good felling they get, even if they don't realize it. This is why I think everything is done for a reason.

    ReplyDelete