Monday, April 13, 2015

Union labors/Fight for 15


It is very obvious that minimum wage, $7.25, an hour is not enough for us humans to survive on, especially in this economy. We have tons of bills to pay and other payments we need to handle and $7.25 is nowhere near suitable. Some people have to get two or three jobs just to get by. I work for minimum wage at the job I am employed at now, and even though I still live with my parents and they pay all of the bills, I seem to run out money so quick because my paycheck is just simply not enough. So, because of the $7.25 being the minimum wage, a campaign called “The Fight for 15” has been started by fast food workers who work for minimum wage and are trying to get it raised to $15 an hour. They leave their jobs to strike and protest for this movement. Police have arrested plenty of workers because they are protesting in the middle of the streets, but that still has not stopped them. While they are protesting, others think that more problems would occur with raising the minimum wage. Brad Jones, Missouri director of the National Federation of Independent Business, says, “if these folks have to increase their wages by $5 an hour, it’s really going to be detrimental to them.” He also thinks that if minimum wage was increased restaurants would hire fewer people. I agree with the strikers, but Brad Jones does have a point. The restaurants would hire less people because that is less employees that they would have to pay. Then, more people would be unemployed and the poverty rates would go up even more, but raising it could be a benefit because it could potentially help the poor, less wealthy, and poverty-ridden families.

2 comments:

  1. I see your point when you say raising the minimum wage to $15 would help the less fortunate but I just don't think thats the right move. Some people are just lazing and didn't/don't wanna go to college. Granted college is expensive but instead of struggling to get by, in my opinion, the student loans would be worth it. People worked their butt of to earn a degree and with getting a degree comes more money. I know some people might not have a choice, but $15 is alot to pay somebody that does have a degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that 7.25 is not a lot to live off of and feed your family with for some people, but raising the minimum wage will only raise EVERYTHING else. I think the cost of living will definitely sky rocket and then people will be complaining again.

    ReplyDelete