Friday, April 10, 2015

The Sartre Way

This week in class our symposiums took place covering three different philosophers: Nietzsche, Marx, and Sartre. The philosopher who I was assigned to is known as Jean-Paul Sartre. He was well known for being an existentialist and took part in the movement along with a few others. When it comes to life he believed that we as human beings are free to give meaning to our life. We were placed here with no prior purpose and the actions we perform make us who we are. This goes against what I've known most of my life. I was taught that I was born to fulfill something that was installed in me and I had to discover what that was. As I have gained knowledge and formed my own views I do agree with giving my life meaning occurs through my actions. However, I do feel like everyone has a place in society and some find it while others never do. Sartre believes that whatever choices you make you make them as a free being and that you have to take full responsibility for them. I also agree with this because as a conscious being you are able to decide what is right or wrong and you're able to weigh out how that will affect you, as well as those who may be affected by your decision. One of the things that many people could relate to is when it comes to working at their jobs. If you don't enjoy the job position you hold, you don't have to continue working there. According to the views presented of Sartre you could change the situation by finding another job or maybe even creating one. We are not objects we are subjective creatures who are capable of transcending in what ever ways we see fit.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the view that we are free individuals that should take full responsibility for each of our actions. I believe that no matter the position we are in, we are never fully enslaved and have the capacity to venture out of whatever we are "captive" in and make a change in our life. I like the example of someone being in a job they hate. Instead of saying "I can't leave this job, I have no choice.", while hating it, there are many alternatives one could take instead of staying at the job he/she hates.

    ReplyDelete