Friday, January 30, 2015

Our Happy "Telos"

Aristotle believed that everyone has a “telos,” a final end or purpose.  That purpose, somehow involves finding happiness, which I would definitely agree with.  I can honestly say that there isn t one person in the world who doesn’t want happiness.  Some people may say they want honor, pleasure, and the most popular one, money, but in the end happiness triumphs all.  One thing that I would argue against Aristotle, is his belief that one cannot be happy and poor.  For example, one cannot be happy and yet still be suffering.  I would argue that Aristotle is wrong and in some way in contradicting himself.  If happiness is supposed to be the highest good that triumphs all, then how is it that being poor can stop one from being happy or achieving happiness.  I’ve actually pondered over this question quite a bit, and then I remembered something someone once told me about happiness.  They told me that happiness isn’t everlasting, only temporary.  They told me that that was the difference between happiness and joy, while happiness is only temporary joy is everlasting.  Now I am not sure how credible this person may be, but what they said made sense to me.  Say they are right, and so is Aristotle, then in that case what Aristotle believed to be happiness was actually joy.  Then that would mean that what one strives for is joy but somehow we end up with happiness and then it slips away.  I believe it all has to do with the balance of life.  In life nothing last forever, one may feel happiness one minute then pain the next.  It cannot all be good and happy all the time.  I struggled to come to terms with this.  I wanted to believe that evil could disappear, but it can’t and it won’t.  Life is a balance between good and evil, happiness and pain, and through it all we still strive for happiness, that final purpose, joy, or whatever you what to call it; The End.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Cindy,however, how would a person know the difference between happiness and joy? What you said about joy being everlasting and happiness being temporary does in fact makes sense to me but I am also a bit confused because if a person's "Telos" is to find joy(the ultimate purpose) , then how would we know we have found joy instead of happiness, when people are constantly looking for something that is temporary? Would you say that we, as humans, spend so much time on looking for happiness, that when we find joy, we often mistake it for something that is temporary instead of everlasting?

    ReplyDelete