Friday, January 30, 2015

Is Happiness Our Purpose?

Is Happiness Our Purpose?


Aristotle once said that the human purpose in life whether is wealth, sanctity, or power always leads to happiness. I personally agree with him, because since I was a small child my parents always taught me to do whatever made me happy, so when I decided to study psychology they agree, even though they wanted me to study a type of science. I f I would of studied what my parents wanted, my life would be miserable because that is not where my happiness is. It is always important to define where our happiness belongs; even if others criticize it and many will because we are all different. I also believe that happiness is what makes each one of us unique. Many find happiness in adventure and others in a library, such differences are what set each one of us apart and when we finally discover uniqueness we also find our purpose. Many people might disagree with this statement and it may be because they have not found his/her real happiness. There are many things that make us happy, but there is always one thing in particular that lightens up our hearts.  I, for example, love to play sports and many of my family members are surprise of why I decided to not play any in college and that is because my real passion is drawing. Even though I am better at sports than drawing, I do not feel the same excitement and change of mood as when I grab a pencil and create new ideas. Therefore, Aristotle, in my perspective is right about stating that happiness is what leads us all to a purpose and without it we would probably be different. I believe that his purpose in life was philosophy, because is what made him an outstanding person, but most important it made him happy.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayana,

    My parents are very similar to yours with how they want me to have a career that will bring me happiness, because it isn't all about the money. I love how you point out that we are all different because each individual has their own way of finding happiness. Simply said I agree with this to a certain point because all in all I would say we are all wanting to obtain something, so therefore we are all the same. It varies because some people want money, some people want love, and some people aren't completely sure of want they want. From Aristotle's point of view he would say that happiness is achieved for solely one purpose. Regardless of this, I believe that Aristotle would say that many people satisfy their happiness through varying aspects of their life, such as having a career that pays them well enough so they can obtain money to support the life they want to live. However, this is not true happiness because wealth is involved to achieve something more. Basically, I see it as people work to achieve things such as money only to turn it into something that will satisfy them and this is not happiness. Happiness is simple and it should stand alone.

    LaTericka H

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete